Embedding safeguarding into the church’s activities
We seek to create a safe environment for all who worship at the church, use its facilities, participate in its external activities or work for the church. We aim to prevent opportunity for abuse or neglect and to create awareness so that action may be taken if either is perceived. The church’s basis for its safeguarding work is set out in its safeguarding policies which are reviewed annually; St Mary’s Safeguarding Policy 2020 and St Peter’s Safeguarding Policy 2020
Contacting those involved in safeguarding
Safeguarding is a continuing responsibility requiring matters to be dealt with whenever they occur with the urgency that is appropriate to that matter. The church therefore has a reporting process in place for safeguarding that facilitates that appropriateness of response:
- The telephone number for safeguarding matters is 01844 273300 (the church office); when the office is closed, the answerphone message will direct those with urgent safeguarding issues to another telephone number, usually that of the Safeguarding Officer.
- The e-mail for safeguarding matters is email@example.com.
Should you wish to contact the diocese rather than the church, the contact information for safeguarding is on the diocesan website www.oxford.anglican.org.
We understand that reporting abuse may be very difficult and distressing and that you may wish for immediate and professional assistance. Here are the contact details of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
If you have any concerns about the safeguarding processes of the church, please contact the church office who will instigate an independent review.