STOP PRESS! Results of PCC vote for Charities to be supported in 2018
The PCC has met and voted on our charities for 2018.
Our major charity for the next 3 years is The Children’s Society.
Single awards will also be made to:
- Christian Aid,
- Hamlin Fistula UK,
- Helen & Douglas House,
- The Princes Centre,
- Princes Risborough School Fund
- Via Ninos.
More information about these charities will follow soon.
Charities we currently support
The PCC selected the following charities for St Mary’s to support in 2017.
Gideon’s Trust UK (helping AIDS orphans in Uganda), ROPE, Children’s Society, CMS Uganda, FOCUS (Saunderton Lodge), Hamlin Fistula UK, Helen & Douglas House, Mission Aviation Fellowship, Mercy Ships, and the Princes Centre. They will receive their donations in mid 2017.
We give 20% of our Gross income to selected charities before even considering the needs of our church. This is a significant amount, but we regard it as our highest priority to help those in need. In fact, it is the essence of our mission principle and puts into practice our motto “Sharing the Love of Christ with All”.
The charities are selected annually by the PCC, considering the relevance of each charity (e.g. missionary, small, local, linked to St Mary’s or a member of our congregation, etc). Each year we choose a small number of charities to get either a Minor Award or Major Award. Each Major Award is repeated for two more years, to give those charities some continuity, helping them to plan ahead.
Unusually in the vote for the charities to be supported in 2016 there was a tie for the major award, and so the PCC decided to make a joint major award. The payments for the 2016 donations have now been made:
Major awards (just under £4,000 each)
- ROPE- Philip Derbyshire (new award for 2016) – see the latest report on how our money is being used
- CMS- Uganda (supporting Kate Quarrell)-Kaye Lillycrop (new award for 2016)
- The Children’s Society- Diana Parker (awarded in 2015)
- The Streetlight Trust- Jim Taylor (awarded in 2014)
Minor awards (each ca £2,200)
- Barnabas Fund- Paul Seward
- Christian Aid- Debby and Jim Cadwallader
- Hamlin Fistula UK- Kaye Lillycrop
- London City Mission- Sally Edwards
- The Princes Centre- Peter Cline and Maggie Keyte